Monday, December 8, 2008

A Carbon-Fiber Travel Bike


Yes, a carbon fiber travel bike using the S and S Machine Bicycle Torque Coupling™ system exists. In fact, frame builders put the couplings on steel, titanium and aluminum bicycle frames as as well. 

It's hard to find a builder who will retro fit your carbon frame, but they do exist.

I was at the liquidation sale of Cyclepath Bikes in Wainscott, NY in the Winter of 2006-2007. I had just decided to purchase a Calfee Design Tetra Pro, and wanted to know what Kurt Pfund, the then owner thought it.

Kurt told me he knew how to retrofit a carbon frame himself. I never took him up on the offer, but it struck me that in my own backyard was someone who said he could do it. There must be more who can or will.

As for other frame materials, it seems that aluminum is a tough one. Santana has an aluminum tandem on offer, but I don't think there are any options to retrofit single rider aluminum bicycle frames.

As of this writing, there are plenty of carbon fiber tandem offerings. For a single rider frame, your option is Calfee Design. I think they pioneered carbon usage for frames.  I've never met Craig Calfee, but I know people who have met him. I've never heard anything but positive remarks about him. He's also pioneering the use of Bamboo as a frame material.

They will turn their Luna and Tetra models into travel bikes in about 14 weeks.  They have geometries for triathlon, too. You can get frame prices on Calfee's web site. You add the travel coupling prices to the frame prices. 

You should also look at the KGS-Zinn travel bike I wrote about in an earlier bike. They have a created a great coupled stem that makes packing and unpacking a breeze. It's a great option if you are looking for a titanium frame. The coupled stem is available on its own.

Prices aren't cheap but if you travel a lot and ride a lot, the savings quickly add up.

If anyone knows of other carbon fiber frame builders who use S and S Machine Couplings™, please let me know.

Thanks for reading this. Comments welcome.

1 comment:

  1. Bilenkey Cycle Works did the retrofit on my Litespeed. It was pricey, but after 5 round trip flights, the conversion has paid for itself.

    ReplyDelete