Sunday, December 7, 2008

A Better Travel Bike?


KGS-Zinn Travel Bike
Originally uploaded by KevinSaunders
You can read about my own travel bike experiences on this blog. From what I write, you can gather that I am a huge fan of the S and S Machine Bicycle Torque Coupling™ system that I had installed on my Calfee Design Tetra Pro.

In my blog on packing the bike, you read that I spend about 60 minutes packing the bike. I also write about problems removing the handlebars from the fork and how difficult it is to master weaving the handlebars into the rear wheel spokes. In order to to this, I have to pull out my cables from their housings and this puts the cables at greater risk of crimping.

It seems that KGS and Zinn have created a titanium travel bike that resolves those issues. They have devised a design that allows the handlebars to be completely removed from the frame. Their solution uses an S and S Machine Coupling™ on a titanium stem. I've been in touch today with Kevin Saunders, owner of KGS Bikes. The stem is available for sale. Get it at KGS Bikes.

The stem is pricey but very tempting for the serious traveler. Check it out!

7 comments:

  1. When packing my Litespeed mtn bike, it is necessary to remove the entire suspension fork. There is not enough room in the case for the front triangle when the fork is attached. It is a pain in the neck, but I deal with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's too bad. I deal with my stem issues but after seeing the KGS - Zinn stem with coupling, I wish I had it! I'd love to get the bike packing down to 15 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find I can remove my stem by loosening the two allen bolts at the headset end. The bars come off just as easily by using the bolts at the other end. Is this man pulling our legs?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's not that the stem cannot be removed, it is the wear and tear on the carbon handlebars, plus the twisting of the cables that can be problematic when packing. Calfee even recommends a single stem/handlebar combo that reduces the stress to just the steering tube. For me, the ease of assembly and reduced stress on the handlebars would be enough for me to consider the KGS-Zinn stem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will never forget this blog as a perfect work of art.
    aquĆ­

    ReplyDelete
  6. It takes immense knowledge to produce this piece of art.
    http://www.stockholmfreetour.com

    ReplyDelete